Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

1985 craft Catalina 381 only using. Gas from starboard tank

Customer Question

1985 Chris craft Catalina 381 only using. Gas from starboard tank how do you make it use port tank?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Fuel is drawn from both tanks at the same time. There are sometimes valves but these are not for anything then shutting off a tank if there is a problem, under normal use both should be open to draw from both tanks. Ensure the valve is open to both tanks or turn valve only to the tank you are not using and see if it will draw fuel, if not then you will need to inspect the system for restriction or a hole (if it sucks air there is a hole or not fuel such as a hole in the pick up tube, if it sucks to a vacuum lock then there is a restriction.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no manifold system on this boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot use this advice
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I stated a valve not a manifold, I explained that some use a valve if not they are just plumbed together, in this case you still follow as I explained you just do so by disconnecting the problem fuel tank line from the working tank and that is how you will conduct your tests.

Does that make better sense? If not please let me know so I can make sure we are on the same page. :)

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I hired a mechanic to follow your instructions. He stated that he reset the valves so that the port engine would draw from the port gas tank and the starboard engine would draw from the starboard gas tank. We continued the journey but to no avail. Both engines are still drawing only from the starboard gas tank. The generator is drawing from the port gas tank with no difficulty. (Genset only draws from port tank)
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Sorry for the delay. Dealing with septic issues. My apologies.

This means the line that is the common draw line for the engines to that tank has a restriction or hole in it or the valve is bad. The mechanic should be able to test and see if the problem is a restriction, a hole or bad valve, a hole and it will only suck air the other two will create a vacuum lock.

It is one of those three problems and will require disconnecting the fuel hose from that tank to diagnose.

Thanks,

Joe