Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 24' Four Winns with 1998 Volvo Penta Gsi. A couple

Customer Question

I have a 24' Four Winns with 1998 Volvo Penta Gsi. A couple of days ago, when I was accelerating to lift the boat on plane, the power cut off completely. I know the engine has circuit breakers to protect the engine and the computer. I immediately tried to reset the breakers but it did not work The next day the boat started without me doing anything , but now I'm reluctant to drive it without knowing what happened. What could be the cause of the power overload and is there a way to check the computer codes to see if they recorded anything.Thanks,Val
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Val, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you.

Checking the computer would require hooking the engine up to a diagnostic laptop. Given the symptoms chances are it wouldn't show anything.

When the engine stalled and you tried to restart... Do you recall if the gauges came alive when you turned the key to run? Or was it completely dead? Do you recall if any of the accessories worked, such as lights/horn/radio?