Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Fix my boat please. Boat appears to be in the safe mode.

Customer Question

Fix my boat please.
Boat appears to be in the safe mode.
Will not rev up beyond 3K.
It has a 5.8 FSI (Ford 351W)
Does this boat have a port for a code scanner.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

When you try to rev past 3k rpms does it have no response at all or is there a hesitation like a misfire?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's more like an oscillating rev and goes back and forth from 3000-3500 RPM. From Google research, sounds like the ECM is telling it to run in a 'safe mode', limiting the RPM. Sensor maybe? Where should I start?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Is it acting like a rev limiter?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kinda, but it doesn't seem as frequent as most rev limiters I'm familiar with. I can try to get a video of it later when I get home and post it on youtube or something. It's a consistent oscillation after 3k RPM, but seems longer than a rev limiter. I'm a little stumped though because it ran perfect on Saturday (for about 2 hours on the water) and I started having the issue on Sunday (without doing anything to the boat). Not sure what could have happened.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

The reason I ask that is based on the possibility of a bad shift switch, but it greatly depends on exactly how it is acting up.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a video be best then? I don't know how else to describe it other than oscillating revs.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

A video or audio file would be great.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the link to a video of the motor running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drqTDfuhIRQ&
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a video link to the motor running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Sorry for the delay. Dealing with septic issues. My apologies.

Yup, sounds exactly like a rev limiter would (for best way to describe it). Not an actual rev limiter at that rpm, just a way to describe it. Does it only do that while in gear or also in neutral?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both, in gear and in neutral. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it runs normal again (for now), but I didn't fix whatever the problem is. I think it just reset the ECM and I probably have a bad sensor/wire somewhere. I'm just not sure how to troubleshoot it from here.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

So your saying that it now runs correctly?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I didn't fix anything. It will likely happen again. Something is causing it to go into safe mode.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily, sometimes there is a simple malfunction that clearing fixes. And without the problem happening, it is very hard to diagnose. That may have actually fixed the problem, oddly sometimes an ecm can have an issue that a soft reset fixes, it may have also had a bad connection that you fixed.

Thanks,

Joe