Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 1993 5.7 v8 Volvo, it is out of the water and has

Customer Question

I have a 1993 5.7 v8 Volvo, it is out of the water and has been receintly serviced, it was running sweet, I started a few days ago prior to launch, and it seems to be running on only 4 cylinders and then stalls when revved up, any ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

If it stalls when revved up you may have a fuel supply issue. When was the water/fuel separator changed last? How old is the fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water/fuel separator was changed in April this year, the fuel tank had been drained completely for over a year, and new fuel added in June this year
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, I would do that first, it's easy and cheap. If that doesn't yield results we will need to get fuel pressure checked.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do check the fuel pressure? also when it revs up it seems like it is sucking in air then stalls
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

You would need to add a pressure gauge between the fuel pump and the carb. Most auto parts stores have gauges to borrow, but it might take a little work to make it work on your boat (unless someone has added a filter in line there. Another thing that is a little more low tech (if the fuel/water sep doesn't fix it) is to feed the engine from a 6 gallon portable tank. If that fixes it, then you know you have a feed problem in the tank or the lines.