Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

What should the normal operating temperature be 1997 3.0 L

Customer Question

What should the normal operating temperature be for a 1997 3.0 L 135hp Alpha 1 4 cylinder engine in a 175 seaRay bowrider? Just had a new head gasket installed and pump housing, o ring, water tube, and gromet replaced on lower unit. Just ran the boat since work completed and it seems to be running hot...170 at idle or headway speed and 200 at full throttle. Marina said it should be 140!....Do I still have a problem here?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The engines run a 143F thermostat and at full throttle it should run 160F give or take a few degrees based on the actual water temperature.

That being said. On the exhaust riser. Is the riser running hotter or colder than the engine? It should be running colder. If it is hot then there is either a lack of water to the engine or the riser is clogged. If it is cold, there is a thermostat or head gasket issue.

Also, did you replace the actual impeller?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet. I wanted to make sure I got all your questions on this issue answered. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason