Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have 1995 25hp outboard Mercury mariner. Fuel seems to be

Customer Question

I have 1995 25hp outboard Mercury mariner. Fuel seems to be leaking out of the bottom of the primer/injector of carb when trying to start it. Won't start.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

When you cleaned the carb how did you do it?

Did you use any new parts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,I did not use any new parts. I just pulled it off and took it apart and gave it a good cleaning. It was running fine until I was bringing it in. As I got close to the boat ramp it died. I never could get it to start again. I just figured some trash got caught in the carb.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok, with the gas leaking from the plug under the primer pump, you are going to need to replace at least that one gasket. I would get a gasket kit and replace them all along with the primer diaphragm and the spring.

Is the ball on your primer inside the spring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the ball is not in the spring. I had the motor serviced about a year ago. Is it normal that the gaskets already need replacing? And that's just me assuming that they tuned up the carberator. Ok I will try that and see what happens.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

On a normal service they would not remove and clean the carb unless you requested it.