Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2001 Yamaha LS2000 jet boat (twin 135hp

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Yamaha LS2000 jet boat (twin 135hp non-powervalve). Mechanic winterized it Oct. 2014. I'm just now trying to take it out for the first time since. Starter engages both engines but neither engine fires. Engines in Neutral, kill switch lanyard
is in place, fuel cock under seat is open (there are 2), plenty of juice in the battery, Perko battery switch is on, gas tank is about 40% full. I can see liquid in the 2 fuel filters (they are about 40% full). I checked the spark on all 3 port engine spark
plugs - good. I poured a bit of gas in each port eng. cylinder, re-installed spark plugs, port engine turned over briefly. Should the fuel filters be full of fuel? Is there a way to prime the fuel line? What steps should I take to get both engines running?
Thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

The fuel filters should be full of fuel, check that you can get gas from the tank, if so this means you just need to get the pumps to prime the fuel system and once primed the engines will stay running. This is why when you put gas in the carb the one engine wanted to start or did and stalled because of lack of fuel.

To prime you just keep cranking, I can tell you that is does help to get a little gas in the engine so it starts brifly which helps it prime faster, however you do not want to do this much as there is no oil which is not good for the cylinders.

What you are going through is very common, it is not to say there is not a problem but that they can be hard to start once they sat, check fuel lines are all attached and another problem might be that the carbs/fuel pumps need rebuilt which can happen from sitting.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.