Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1989 Mercruiser Stern Drive Engine on a 21 foot

Customer Question

I have a 1989 Mercruiser Stern Drive Engine on a 21 foot Bayliner Trophy Boat. The engine turns over, but will not start. It DOES fire and start if starting fluid is sprayed into the carburator--but the engine quickly dies when the starting fluid is exhausted. So it must be a fuel problem. I think the fuel valve may be closed, but cannot find it. Can you tell me where the fuel valve is located? Thank you!--Bill Bond (*****@******.***)
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

IF it has a fuel valve it would be located where the fuel line connects to the tank. What you would do is look under all the hatches to locate the fitting and see if it even has one.

That being said, what is the story on this boat? When did it last start? How old is the fuel in the tank? Is this something you just bought?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill, it looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you still need help on this issue?