Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have Tohatsu 20hp four stroke. Got water in the fuel

Customer Question

I have Tohatsu 20hp four stroke. Got water in the fuel system and needed to drain the carb. Removed the drain screw under the bowl and drained everything. Now I cannot get the drain screw back in. The carb is to far recessed into the housing to get my fingers in. How can I replace the drain screw without having to remove the whole carb?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

You do not have many options here, you either need to remove things to gain access, have smaller fingers, use a screwdriver (flat blade) to hold it there while you spin it or you will have to remove the carb to put it back into place. A screwdriver/magnet usually does the trick. If you pull the carb you should replace the carb base gasket.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.