Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a MerCruiser 5.0 2008 I changed my gimbal bearing.

Customer Question

Hello I have a MerCruiser 5.0 2008
I changed my gimbal bearing. That took care of my vibration problem. The smartcraft system is keeping it in guardian mode. What should be my next step? Also I recently Purchased a Rinda tech tool
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What kind of codes are you getting through the Rinda?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes in the initial plug-in where it reads the engine and assesses everything. I have not run any of the tests yet. Still a max of 2800 RPMs in gear
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

There are always at least 4 codes that come up. Are you using your code reader the correct way?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to plug it in again now And start the engine
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you elaborate on codes. First I hit sterndrives. Then it reads PCM smartcraft
Pcm data , faults history , info , functions
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

To be honest I don't know how to use the techmate tool. I use Diacom, the laptop one. I've never use the handheld.

Try fault history, see what it says there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey this is Jody DelGiorno I saw a video on the Diacom software for the laptop and it does all the same stuff. Slightly different interface. Under freeze frames I'm getting code 21 22 75 94 130 153 210
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jody,

Some of those codes are for optional sensors, but some do indicate a problem

21 - This is the engine coolant temp sensor. The engine is either overheating, or it thinks it is because of a bad temp sensor.

22 - This just means the warning horn is on

153 - This is the gear lube monitor bottle. It is either low on gear lube or the sensor in it is bad

210 - This is the neutral switch on the shift plate where the 2 shift cables come together. The switch is either bad or unplugged, or the ECM otherwise thinks the engine is always in neutral because it is not seeing a signal form this switch.

The rest of the codes you don't have to worry about, they are for optional sensors the engine doesn't have. So you can ignore those.

Does that all make sense? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks yes that all makes sense. We just ran a fuel injector test cylindersOne through four tested fine. Cylinders five through eight say no ECM Communication. We did the misfire test and got the same results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will rate you on the website you've been great really. I'm going to go do the rating thing and I'll touch back. Wondering if you got my message on those diagnostic test we ran in the cylinders etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I'm trying to rate you and I'm having problems getting to the correct page on the website
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, we all do this on the side out of our houses.

Is the scan tool dropping it's connection when you try to do these tests? Also, is there is a history or story behind the engine?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You could have a bad ECM or bad wiring harness if it is dropping communication. In the shop what I would do is swap the ECM for a working one, that would tell me if the problem is a bad harness or bad ECM. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet. I wanted to make sure I got all your questions on this issue answered. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason