Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

1998 Volvo penta 5.7 gsi fuel pressure regulator, where is

Customer Question

1998 Volvo penta 5.7 gsi fuel pressure regulator, where is it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

GSI is a family of engines, what I need is the actual model number. Depending on which model you have there will be anywhere from 4 to 6 more letters after the GSI forming the complete model number. For example, 5.7GSI-ABCDEF

Can I get the full model number on the engine please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have that, the boat is some way from here now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry name is Mike
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike. There are no time limits here. Just reply back when you have it and we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where would I find it on the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay will do thank you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It's usually on a sticker either on the valve cover or on the spark arrester.

The problem is there are 7 different GSI models, and they are all different. Below is a list of all 7. I would need to know exactly which one you have to answer any questions on the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got ya, will find out thank you again
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found it the previous owner wrote it down 5.7GSIPBYCCE
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it.

Now did you just need to know where the fuel pressure regulator was? Or do you need help trying to solve a problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure if you saw initial question/statement.
engine take a little throttle to start, I hear low pressure two seconds before crank prime system. after cranks warms up etc. engine rev to 5000 no hesitation, at WOT though only 2000rpm and backfires a lot. have replaced high pressure fuel pump, checked low pressure screen for junk, replace fuel water separator, new rec90 gas in tank, have run 2000 rpm 8mph, for distance, horrible fuel consumption. have read other posts saying fuel pressure regulator, what say you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That's why I had asked if you wanted help or was just wanting to know where the fuel pressure regulator was.

To me the problem doesn't sound like a bad regulator, it sounds more like fuel starvation. Have you measured you fuel pressure at max speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh yeah, new plugs, getting fouled from what seems to be raw fuel, can smell fuel in exhaust with following wind too.
I don't have a diagnostic Techmate to read codes, and no offense, I loathe to take to local shop and have them bend me over again endlessly throwing parts at it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I haven't guess I better breakdown and order a pressure gauge kit, can you recommend one online, that doesn't cost and arm and a leg
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any autozones nearby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

They do free loaners on tools as long as you pop a deposit down on it with a credit card. All you need is any old automotive fuel pressure gauge. But you would have to make sure it comes with the GM TBI adaptor for checking fuel pressure.

The other thing is you want to check engine compression as well.

Can you do those 2 checks and get back to me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will do, and get back in a couple days
thanks again Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You bet, keep me posted.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. No rating has been put through yet. Did you still need help with this issue? The website has already charged you, but they have not credited me yet for helping you out. So I wanted to make sure I got all your questions on the issue answered for you.

Thanks,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jason, Have a few things come up, unable to get cylinder compression, or high/low side fuel pressures, hopefully this weekend, like I said the boat is quite a few klick away. Hopefully touch base next tuesday.
thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good Mike, let me know how you make out.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in, any progress?