Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

2001 Mercury 25hp 2stroke serial #OT186868 prop driven gh

Customer Question

2001 Mercury 25hp 2stroke serial #OT186868 prop driven
High pitched noise after warmed up, sounds like belt squeal on a car. happens in gear or neutral. Have recently found auxiliary stator (charging coil) bad. Replaced that and the rectifier, also put in new impeller and spark plugs as maintenance . Engine runs great but noise is alarming. Sounds like it is coming from lower end of engine in between the engine and lower unit. Is there a way to lube the lower engine bearing or is there any other bearings between the lower engine roller bearing and the outdrive?
Thanks,
Tom
fellow expert in the auto repair side
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tom, my name is Charles.

Could you take a video of the engine and post it here. There is nothing that should be rubbing where you are talking about. The driveshaft just goes thru a large opening in the drive-shaft housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have to do that next time on the water or in the driveway with ear muffs.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Driveway might be better as you can move around the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll get back to you tomorrow then. Thanks. I've been wondering about the lower roller bearing on the power head. Is there a way to lube it? Looks like it would have to be torn all the way down to replace right?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

is is lubed by the fuel/oil mixture as it flows thru the engine. There is a hose that leads directly to the front of it.

I come online after 530 PM CST weekdays. I do have a normal day job as well.