Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Have a Searay 340 year 2000. Generator model 4.5 BCGB. The

Customer Question

Have a Searay 340 year 2000. Generator model 4.5 BCGB. The trouble is runs fine on light load. If it exceeds 10 amps it bogs down and.pops. Can't run full.load
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This will take more than one reply to solve your issue.

Has the generator been sitting unused? When was the last time you changed fuel filters.

Your symptoms are of fuel starvation. When the generator is under a heavy load it will run ok as it doesn't take much fuel then when you start to put a heavier load in the genset it requires more fuel. If it can't get enough fuel it will loose power and cause the genset to back fire from lean fuel condition. So you have either a clogged fuel filter or debris in the carburetor restricting fuel flow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

I would check the fuel filters first. The genset usually has a filter before it connect to the genset on the fuel supply line and then there is a filter in the carburetor where the fuel line connects to the carb. Change those filters first then if the genset still acts up the carb will have to be removed, disassembled cleaned and a carb kit installed.

On these carburetors you must have then cleaned in an ultrasonic carb cleaning tank. The jets and ports are very small and are very hard to get cleaned with conventional carb cleaners.

This is not unusual for a genset to have this issue as many people don't run their genset as often as they should. The genset should be run under a full load everytime you use the engines. This will help prevent the issue you are having.

This should solve your issue.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you.

Thank you...........Tan

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

If you haven't done it in 100 hours of use you should probably due a tune up also. Change the cap,rotor and spark plugs. Now if you have less than 100 hours and more than 1 season you still need to do a tune up.

Thank you.....Tan