Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have 5 liter gmc mercruiser in 1994 chaparral boat.Problem

Customer Question

i have 5 liter gmc mercruiser in 1994 chaparral boat.Problem is very little power,labouring to get get 3000rpm maximum speed is 25 mph,recently had carb. rebuilt thinking this was the issue. What could be the problem. Thanks Tony
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Tony. My name is Tan.

This may take more than one reply to get the issue resolved.

When was the last time you had the engine tuned up?

Have you done a compression to determine the health of the engine?

Did you by chance dump the fuel filters into a clear container to see what was in the filter?

Do you use ethanol enriched fuels? How old is the fuel in the fuel tank? Have you tried running the engine on a different fuel source to eliminate the boat side fuel system as a possible cause fore a fuel related issue?

Sorry for all the questions but I have to ask to come up with a possible cause of your issue.