Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 2001 40HP s stroke with the alarm going off, runs

Customer Question

I have a 2001 40HP s stroke with the alarm going off , runs fine, has oil in the tank, water coming out. unplugged the oil sensor and it stays on
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Is the alarm a solid tone or an intermittent tone? If it is a solid it means that the problem is cooling. since you said that there is water flow, it could be that there is not enough water circulation or that there is a blockage in the cylinder head or the sensor itself is defective. Check the following, is the water coming out hot? Can you bear it on your hand? If no then it is getting overheated even though water is coming out. This means that there is a blockages either in the thermostat or in the cooling passages in the cylinder head. This would require dismentling and cleaning. If the water and enigne are barable to touch then the problem is most probably the temp sensor.

On the other hand if the alarm is intermittent, then it is oil related. Try bypassing the two wires going to the float switch as in some models the switch is normally closed. If the problem is still there, then it can be the warning module.

Keep me updated on your findings and feel free to post back if you need.

Noel