Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I am trying to figure out how to check the fuses to find out

Customer Question

I am trying to figure out how to check the fuses to find out why my electrical is not working.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

The accessories, lights, bilge pump, etc. are on a separate circuit from the engine electrical.

Did you recently change out a battery by chance?

On your dash are the switches and push button circuit breakers, you shouldn't have fuses, but breakers.

Look at the back of the dash panel and find the hot wire leading to the switches. Check this wire for voltage, you can use an inexpensive 12 volt test light. From your symptoms you have either a loose positive wire to the switches or a bad ground wire. So check on the back of the dash and at the battery.

Do you have the single battery or a dual battery set up with a battery switch?

Post back what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset the breaker it had a switch the power came on but when I turned lights on it all went off again.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

You most probably have a short in the positive lead from the switch or panel to the lights. If you have an ohm meter you can check the circuit for shorts. Do you have a meter? Are the lights the only one blowing now?