Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

I just purchased a 2010 Jeanneau 50 DS, the boat has been

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2010 Jeanneau 50 DS, the boat has been sitting for a year in the water. She has 200 hours on engine. While running the air conditioner and then turning it off I noticed the bilge pump did not shut off. No water was being pumped so I took the pump off auto pump. Could this be the sensor? and if it is sensor is the sensor in pump? I apologize I forgot the pump manufacture.
Thank you
Peter
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Peter, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
Was there a float type switch mounted next to the bilge pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it seems to be tied into the air conditioning unit using a bellows type system.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you looking at a bilge pump or a water pump?
When this pump runs is there water shooting out of the side of the boat anyplace?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on starboard amidships and aft. the pump is similar to a JOHNSON PUMP Lavatory Systems - Viking Power 16 12/24V
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay so this is your AC pump. This is typically switched on and off manually separate of the actual AC as you typically run it 10 minutes or so after the AC is turned off. If you go over to your panel do you see a breaker or switch labeled AC pump?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you in the boat now to check?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On panel it says "bilge pump". 3 way switch, auto-off-manual. When I switch to manual I do here the "bilge pump" turn on in the bilge, this pump is working. The water pump is above the a/c unit. I did let the water pump run for 15 min. on "auto" setting after a/c was off, the water pump did not shut off.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Look at the breaker for the AC unit itself. If you look near that breaker is there another breaker labeled "AC PUMP"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did look for a/c breaker, there are 2 breakers for forward and aft a/c no a/c pump breaker. the pump seems to be tied into the bilge. I'm not on boat.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I would need to be on the boat in order to figure this one out. I will opt out and leave it open to the other guys. If somebody else wants to take a stab at it they will jump in. Good luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is Mike,

First, you are getting the bilge pump mixed up with the A/C cooling pump. The A/C cooling pump is controlled by the circuit board in the A/C unit when to start and stop.

This is most likely just a programming issue and not the pump it's self. If you have the operators manual for the A/C system, look under the programming guide section and it will explain how to program the cooling pump to cycle with the compressor or to run continuously..... yours is probably set to run continuously.

IF you do not have the operators manual for the unit, you can post the make and model of the unit and I can find the manual for you.

This should take care of your issue.... I hope this helps, let me know what happens and if you need further assistance.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, were you able to program your A/C unit.... did you get pump to stop?