Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a honda bf90d Since driving in salt water i have

Customer Question

Hi
I have a honda bf90d
Since driving in salt water i have sporadic power loss. Thid means the complete electric system is down snd motor is out.
Trying different trim angels i can restart.
But after somr time it happens again.
Is it a problem of thr power trim ?
Some day ago the motor struggles seem like not getting enough fuel. May be two different errors ?
A guy from honda supposed high pressure filter .
But before taking the boat out i like to have your opinion.
Regards
Andx
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just in addition the acg and pgm fi system does not give a sound or clear signal
Only a dark light is week visible in the acg led
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Troubleshooting the electrical is not easy. However what you are experiencing usually is caused by corrosion on a connection and most of the time it is the ground for the engine. Physically take each connector apart, make sure the terminals are clean, you can use a small dab of dielectric grease on the terminals. Take your battery cables off, clean the terminal ends and the mounting locations/block and securely tighten them. You can use some liquid electric tape over the connections on the block and relays. This will keep the corrosion at bay.

So I think corroded, loose connections are your problem.

Try this and post back your results.