Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

Kenny...I have a 2008 STX15f. I have an electrical issue I

Customer Question

hey Kenny...I have a 2008 STX15f. I have an electrical issue I am trying to find. I have a brand new battery and the ski starts and runs good when I first ride it. after a few minutes of riding it, it shuts down and when I go to start is it clicks like it is trying to turn over but just clicks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a multi-meter, I would like you to do a simple battery test, set you meter to volts DC and measure the voltage with the ignition off, then key it on an measure the voltage (write this down) then with the meter leads hooked up to the battery crank over the engine and observe the voltage drop on the meter, I need to know what the voltage drops to when you are cranking the engine over ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny,Had 13 volts before turning the ski on. After power turned on had 13 volts still. During start dropped to 12 volts. After start, running, 13 volts again.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK thanks, ***** ***** wanted to make sure that you don't have a battery issue, so it looks like this might be a little more involved that first expected, I need yo to open up the electrical box and inspect it for water or signs of moisture in the box. Also is this ski used in fresh or alt water ? Let me know what you find in the electrical box.

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No moisture in the electrical box. Harness is on tight as well. I tightened down all the battery and starter cables as well.Have you heard of this type of problem happening on this ski? Sometimes problems like this could be common.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Salt water. I am crazy about keeping the ski clean and flushing for 5 mins after use though.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Well there are a couple of things, going through all the battery connections and checking them also at the solenoid is good, and I do believe your battery is OK. If you notice there are a few black connectors where a bunch of wires go into them, those are referred to as "joint" connectors, what they actually do is form a connection for common wires, what can happen is moisture can get inside and then foul up the connections inside them, you can pop the cap off and inspect for corrosion on the terminals, clean then and then reapply dielectric grease back in the connector and see if that helps.

Next back by the battery is a 16 pin cconnector that connects the "main" harness to the fuel injection harness, pull that apart and again look at all the connections close to make sure nothing is going on with them, get a can of contact cleaner and spray the connections, you have an intermittent problem, its likely not going to jump out and bite you, this could be a process of elimination to say the least, I believe on my past experiences that you will likely find an issue in one of the harness. The down side of all of this is you do use the ski in salt water and as good as you think you are cleaning everything, salt water works its way into these connectors and even the wiring harness as good as we think they are sealed, they are not in the adverse conditions.

Let me know of this help, if not I will be glad to answer anything else.

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is that group of common wires?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a manual ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a manual but I was able to get it in the water today. Started and ran pretty good. Not hitting top speed for some reason. After about 10 minutes of riding it shut off. When I went to start it, it sends power to the starter but seems like it doesn't have enough juice to turn over. Battery is fine though. Can't figure out what would cause this.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

So let me get this correct, you are riding along and the engine will just shut off by itself ? or are you stopping it and then it will not restart ? How fast is the unit running and more importantly what is the RPM at wide open throttle ?

Thanks

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the weird part. Starts and runs great and then it just shuts off unexpectedly while running. Then after shutting down the the starter will no longer start it. Then I wait a few hours and it starts right up no problem. But then same thing, runs for a bit and shuts down unexpectedly and then doesn't start again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get up to 53mph and used to be able to get up to 62. Just feels sluggish. Top rpm is about 6-6500
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

You need to check your compression on your runnability issue and your shutting off issue might be stop switch and or ignition switch, it almost sounds like you have moisture in one or both of those switches

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I check the switches. Multi meter on the harness for a good connection?Also, all these issues seem to have started after I had set up a solar panel to charge the old battery when I was not using the ski. Could that have damaged the ecu?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

ECU damage is possible but not likely, unless the connections were not tight, the switches is a slippery slope, you almost have to open them up and inspect with the eye, what happens is moisture can get into them and then when things heat up on the ignition side then it will cause resistance and short, I have seen that, this is a salt water ski which it could also be a harness issue, salt water over time will create havoc !!!!

Kenny

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kenny,I opened up the start/stop switch. It looks good. No moisture in it. I have opened up a few wiring harnesses and they are good to.