Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Yo

Customer Question

Yo
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a 97 sea doo gti. No response when hit start button. New mpem. New solenoid. Good ground. Help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

If an mpem is replaced then you have to use the key that comes programmed with it or have your keys programmed to it, if you try using an old key with the new mpem and it is not programmed to it then it will not work. This is just one thing that it could be.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I see nothing in terms of the battery, so I would ask that if you have not already done so that you have the battery professionally load tested and if it is good then I would need to know when you try to start if you get 12v on the small wire to the starter solenoid, if so you then need to check for main batt supply in 12v and during cranking 12v out on other large cable to starter, if not then solenoid is the issue, if no 12v signal during cranking at the solenoid then please preform the following tests:

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Engine start/stop switch verification;
Disconnect the Yellow/Red wire of the start/stop switch. Using an ohmmeter, connect test probes to the Yellow/Red wire and to ground. Measure resistance, it must be an open circuit (switch is normally open). Depress and hold switch, the ohmmeter should read close to “0” ohm.

Safety Lanyard Switch Verification;
If 2 short beeps are not heard when installing the safety lanyard, disconnect the switch wires.
Safety lanyard removed;
connect the test probes to switch Black and Black/Yellow wires. It’s an open circuit, there should be no continuity.
Connect one test probe to the White/Gray wire and the other test probe to the switch terminal. Measure resistance, it should be “0” ohm. Connect one test probe to the Black wire and the other test probe to the switch ring. Measure resistance, it must be close to “0” ohm.
Safety lanyard on switch; connect the probes to switch Black and Black /Yellow wires. Measure resistance, it must be “0” ohm.
Timer Verification;
The timer is integrated into the MPEM. Always confirm that the fuses are in good condition. To confirm operation of timer, remove the safety lanyard from switch. After 5 seconds delay, depress start/stop button once. The timer should stay on for 33 seconds (for example, the gauge(s) will be activated) and than turn off.

DESS Codes/ Beeps
2 Short beeps …the engine is ready to start
1 Long beep …no communication to MPEM
4 Short beeps… (on Jet Boats) Shifter is in gear
8 Short beeps…defective MPEM
1 Continual beep…engine over heating

Advanced Self- Diagnostic Mode

By pushing the start/stop button 5 times, you’re putting the DESS in advanced diagnostics. When you have successfully done this, you'll hear 1 short, 1 long beep then, put on the lanyard cap. The engines should start if everything is ok.

2 Short beeps means MPEM can’t read the lanyard cap or it has bad magnet. It could be a bad wire connection at the Lanyard switch.
2 Long beeps means wrong lanyard or bad connection of DESS connection
3 beeps signal the wiring harness of the DESS switch are grounded, or a short circuit somewhere.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was a mpem that doesn't take programmable key. I'm familiar with some things on the ski. Battery's good. Solenoids good. I'm pretty sure dess post r good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Possible to call me(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Understood, this one was an cdi box then. That makes that easier.

I do still need you however to check the other tests I mentioned and this way we eliminate things at the same time that help identify where the problem is as without testing one can only guess. And again for a battery I will take your word just please understand that unless it has been load tested then there is no way to know for sure it is good even if new.

Also I need you to preform the tests I explained regarding the solenoid as well as you have 2 powers in and a power out so saying the solenoid is good unfortunately does not help me to diagnose the problem.

I am not permitted to call you without an additional offer for a phone call, I did submit the offer as you requested however with that does come an additional fee, however, that is not required and you can choose not to use that offer as well and we can continue to communicate just as we are now.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ha. Yea for 150$ I mine as well goto local mechanic. But he's a jerk off. Mpem good. Dess post good. Switch good. After poking around some more I find I'm blowin fuses on mpem. The fuse didn't blow the one time for some reason n the black wire that goes to harness that has four wires that goes into motor started burning up. The fuse in back box didn't blow eithier but it started to melt the red wire with in line fuse in back box to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Beginning of season the ski fired up. I didn't use for awhile n when u went back to try the battery was complete dead. So I bought a new one. N just tested it. Good.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Is the harness that is burning the one that goes to the mag cover and to the stator?

Which exact fuses are blowing?

Have you replaced the blown fuses with higher amp fuses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Harness has 4 wires n goes into front of motor. Black wire from that to mpem. I didn't replace bigger with bigger fuses. The 5 amp in mpem blows
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Your going to need to remove the mag cover and inspect the stator, and the coils, check for metal debris/shavings, melted plastic and rust/corrosion.... A note on rust, this is usually the result of a bad seal on the mag cover allowing water to enter. As for the melted wires, you will need to replace the stator if that side and the harness if the other end. Also confirm battery is NOT connected backwards (reversed polarity) as this could also be a result.

Whatever you do, do not put larger fuses in.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the mag cover on the engine? I'll open it up in a littl bitt let u know what I see. I'
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Mag cover refers to the mag side (front of the engine) that covers the magneto/stator, etc.

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&a=48&b=6&c=0&d=-MAGNETO-ASSY.

Melted wiring on it's side means it must be replaced even if it were ok and melted from another problem, you would want to replace anything with melted wiring not making wiring repairs on these. In most cases that will be the problem or the battery polarity reversed according to the symptoms you have explained.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled cover. Do I have to pull flywheel to inspect everything
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately on that model engine flywheel removal is required.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey joe. After cursing at u about having battery hooked up backwards. Turns out my dumb ass had it backwards. Let me tell u. I'm not some schmoo. The battery terminal was opposite compared to old one. Same batteries.... Think I gotta replace that black wire. It went from harness to harness under front hood. Not a biggie. How can I test the alarm speaker. Don't think it works. Here's my new problem. I hooked the hose up after dry starting it for a second n it ran. But the cylinders filled up with water. I had this problem last year. Dried them out n I think I went right in water n it didn't suck any up. Would there be a reason unit only happens when hose is hooked up
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

No worries at all. Unfortunately with the melted wiring you will also need to fix that, this means if the stator side then thus replacing the stator and or harness.

The beeper can be tested by checking the power wire to it for voltage as soon as you connect the lanyard or with power supplied to it, check the connector and ground as well as the rest of the wiring.

I am partly torn over the info to provide in terms of the beeper as it will be different for dess vs non dess, your explaining to me that you do not have a dess mpem but 1996 was the first year for dess and every year after had dess, 1995 would not have had dess, yours is a 1997 which even if a 1996 has dess but being a 1997 is 100% has dess which is why I am so confused.

I think you are saying that once it was running you turned the water on which is correct, if you turn the water on before starting it will fill the engine with water, also you should know that depending on the water pressure you have and the size hose which can increase flow the water even with engine running can overcome the engine and allow water into the cylinders. If this ONLY happens on a hose then that is most likely what is taking place, if this however also happens when in use in the water then I would check the exhaust gaskets and head gasket.

Thanks,

- Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry joe. The mpem that I thought that was burnt up ended up being good so it does have dess. I'll try light water pressure when I get home
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

I had figured it was but without being there in person I couldn't be sure so I had to go on your word, no problem though.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks again,

Joe