Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I HAVE A 1992 135HP OUTBORD. I HAD A OIL CAP TOP CRACK OFF

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1992 135HP OUTBORD. I HAD A OIL CAP TOP CRACK OFF ON THE MOTOR ON A RECENT TRIP IN CANADA. I HAD ONE HECK OF A TIME FIXING IT ENOUGH TO GET HOME. DO YOU HAVE A PLAIN CAP I CAN GET SO I CAN HAVE IT FOR BACK UP WHEN IT HAPPENS AGAIN.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the make model and serial number of the engine please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MERCURY 135HP 6CYL 1992YR LOOKIING FOR JUST BACKUP CAP FOR OIL TANK IN CASE THE ONE WITH THE SENSOR BRAKES AGAIN. INSTEAD OF BUYING THE OEM PART TO CARRY FOR A SPARE

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

You really don't want to do that as you will have no way of knowing the oil level in the tank and if it runs out of oil you will burn up the engine.

They don't make a specific cap only for that tank. Look how long the original cap lasted 23 years. Why don't you re[place the cap and it will last as long as the original cap lasted. The only reason these caps crack is from being over tightened or age.

If you need a cap you will just have to try to find something that will go on the tank and be air tight.

I have never known anyone request a cap. Why don't you just replace the cap and don't worry anymore.

Here is the cap assembly. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER36-43300A+9