Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have twin Mercury Doradoengines with fly by wire controls.

Customer Question

I have twin Mercury Dorado(###) ###-####engines with fly by wire controls. Port engine engages in gear while the Starboard engine stays in neutral. The starboard engine is running,but won't engage in gear.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

First thing to do is check the gear oil. You will need to remove the prop to do this.

Then inspect where the shift shaft goes thru the adapter plate. This is a tight area and if you are in salt water it is often overlooked when rinsing the motor off. The salt will gather there on the bushing making it harder and harder to shift until it just binds the shaft. To correct this you will need to clean the area and spray some lube like WD-40 in there to get it loosened up.