Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Engine will not rev up past idle. When pressed beyond idle

Customer Question

engine will not rev up past idle. When pressed beyond idle motor dies. There is an arm about 4 inches long at the top of throttle mechanism in the motor that doesn't seem to be attached to anything.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Could I get the engine model number please?

The lever on the control is the warm up lever for starting the engine when raised it should increase idle some.

Has the engine been sitting unused for awhile?

Have you done a spark and compression test?

We must do these 2 tests first to determine the strength of the spark and the engine.

They didn't build the 140 till 1977.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is not at the control arm up front. It is after the motor has started and put in gear it will die when trying to increase speed. Compression and spark are fine. I am sure it has something to do with the loose unattached arm. Does this arm of about 4inches go from the top of the throttle on the motor where it is attached to a lever under the fly wheel? The motor is a 1980 Johnson sea horse 140 HP. mega flash and has run fine and used regularly. It might have something to do with advancing the spark for higher rpm. It appears that is the only place that loose arm can go.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The arm on the control is for idle only. Do this with engine cover off have a friend advance the throttle is all the linkage moving?