Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I need to install a new solenoid in my 1999 Tracker 40 hp

Customer Question

I need to install a new solenoid in my 1999 Tracker 40 hp outboard with power tilt. I need to know what wires go to what posts on the solenoid.. I think there were nine wires that attached to the old solenoid. The solenoid part # ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Is this the solenoid you have?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTE4WDEyODA=/z/85sAAOSwZjJVAEcH/Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Is this the solenoid you have?
Is this the solenoid you have?
Is this the solenoid you have?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTE4WDEyODA=/z/85sAAOSwZjJVAEcH/$_35.JPG35.JPG
Is this a Johnson or a Mercury. Tracker used both and both engines were labeled as Tracker.35.JPG35.JPG
Is this a Johnson or a Mercury. Tracker used both and both engines were labeled as Tracker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mercury. And Yes to the solenoid.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok the solenoid has 2 small terminals. One is ground so this will be black wires. Then the other small terminal will have a yellow/red wire. Then the 2 large terminals one terminal is going directly to the starter. Then the last large terminal is the battery cable connection. Any red wires will connect to this terminal. Here is the Mercury outboard wiring. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/jacksparrow1956/2011-02-15_014439_outbrd_strt_circuit.jpg

Does this follow what you have for wires.

If you have wires that you aren't sure about post back and we can find out where they go.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Here is the diagram of your solenoid.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

# ***** goes to the starter # ***** are all battery cable connections. The main battery cable and the smaller wires are for the trim and the charging system. # ***** is ground all black wires.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan. I'm in Las Vegas and the boat and motor are in Southern Utah. There are three light gauge wires that go to the small terminals. If I remember there is one black and one white wire that goes to one small terminal and the red/yellow wire goes to the other small terminal. I think there are 6 larger gauge wires. Two reds ones that go to the positive terminal, one black one that goes to the positive terminal. If I remember there is a yellow heavy gauge and 2 other black wires that go the other large terminal.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

These are the only wires you should have on the solenoid. The other extras that are black go to engine grounds. Usually under one of the bolts holding the solenoid on the engine. The white wire isn't part of the start circuit.

The red larger gauge wire goes to the large terminal of the solenoid. Then the only wire that goes to the other larger terminal of the solenoid is the yellow going to the starter. The other large black wires are ground and do not connect to the solenoid.

Here is the diagram of the wires for your solenoid.http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jacksparrow1956/97a94b02-c4b6-40fc-adb3-f2257e4927fc_scan0003.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The diagram looks correct. But there are at least 2 if not 3 larger gauge black wires. I know one goes with the red wires. I believe there were three wires connected to each large terminal. The boat has a trolling motor so I'm thinking they may be the other black wires.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes those are grounds they go to one of the mount screws under the solenoid. You should have one large wire coming from the battery positive. Then a large yellow coming from the starter to the other large terminal. Those are the only large wires that go to the solenoid terminals.

The trolling motor wires will connect at the battery. The diagram I posted is from the manual and are the only wire you should have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, you must think I'm crazy. But there were three larger gauge wires that went to each large terminals. Going from memory I want to say 2 red wires one black wire to one Yellow and 2 blacks to the other. All six of the heavy gauge wires have the larger connector at the ends to fit on the larger terminals.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Then it is something some one has added there aren't any circuits on that engine that require all those cables. The only circuit that requires that kind of cable is the starter and is only needs the large red positive cable and the large cable going to the starter. All other circuits on that engine are all small low amperage draw. So the diagram I sen is the only way it should be wired. The other cables are not for the engine. So it has to be something some one added.

All I can tell you is that is not factory wiring with all the large cables.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

If you can trace the wires back to where they originate I can tell you what they are for and where the connect. Or post a picture.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I'm going to follow the diagram and see if everything works. I'll deal with the other black wires once I wire as diagramed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok. You should only have 2 large cables going to that solenoid. One battery positive and the other going from solenoid to the starter. The others have to be a ground. Even if there is another large cable it would only connect on the side of the battery positive. Nothing else should connect with the cable going to the starter.

Please post a pic of the cablkes in question if you get stuck we don't want to burn anything up.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Here is the solenoid labeled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Is there a way to get in touch with you at later date if I need some other advise concerning this matter.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Sure just post back to this link as you have been. I will be here. I'm on Pacific time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome..............Thank you...........Tan

With the solenoid connected as in the diagram the engine will start and run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, one more question. Could the other larger gauge wires have something to do with the power trim?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Yes that would connect to the same location as the battery cable positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would there be two wires that would connect to the battery cable positive for he power trim?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

No just one. From the trim you would have a red positive and a black negative.And it wouldn't be the size of a battery cable. It would be a smaller diameter.