Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Can you repair this problem with Volvo Penta 5.0? It cranks

Customer Question

Can you repair this problem with Volvo Penta 5.0 ? It cranks well every time , but when you accelerate the engine stalls or with rapid acceleration backfires and stalls or dies.
Internet answer : Re: Volvo 5.0 GL Stalling and Hesitation
The carburetor may have some issues from sitting that long. The hesitation you describe can be a symptom of the accelerator pump shot not up to par, and wants you to have the carb rebuilt. (Boats are needy).
The accelerator pump is inside the carb and has some rubber components, it squirts fuel into the carb bore as the throttle is opened. If the pump shot is weak then the engine will hesitate and stumble until the engine's demand draws the fuel thru the carb's main jets just by airflow.
If you are not used to carbureted engines and your experience is with modern automobile fuel injected engines then that is all "news" to you, as the fuel injection computer enriches the fuel mix electronically thru the injectors.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
I read what you wrote, and It does sound like the carb has a clogged up accelerator pump. What kinds of questions did you have for me, or what can I help you out with?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me?