Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I looked at a i believe it was a 21.3 ft Marlin ,,it has a

Customer Question

I looked at a i believe it was a 21.3 ft Marlin ,,it has a 4.3 v-6 chevy,, a small cuddy down below.. it is a 1993 ,,, it was in great shape,,stored for years,,has 82 hrs on it,, my question is,,are these well made boats,,any known problems,, and what is maybe a ball park good fair price for this,,,,i did take pictures,,id appreciate any advise!! thanx Mike
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Retail price on that boat is about $4800 with a trailer. So a private sale you are probably in the $3500 range. The hours are low, but that is not always a good thing. The biggest thing to watch for is delamination in the deck and transom. If you are not going to get a survey at least tap all around with a plastic hammers. If it goes tap, tap, tap, thunk, the thunk means it is delaminated. Ideally I'd also do a compression test on the engine, if that is good, the rest is likely gonna be okay too.