Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Just replaced impeller, Mercury 4 stroke 30hp, and did not

Customer Question

just replaced impeller, Mercury 4 stroke 30hp, and did not see water flow. 1. How long should the motor be on for water to start going out? 2. What other steps to do to get impeller to work?>
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if you were on the muffs that should at least have kept the pump safe. Did you get any water out the exhaust? I would expect to see water at 30 seconds but remember you have to fill the whole engine cavity before it comes out the top. I would leave it on the muffs, and make sure they are sealed well, run it for a little longer, but don't bring it above idle until you at least have water from the exhaust.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most likely I did not wait for 30 sec.
I did not have any water out from the exhaust.
I did not use the boat for over 3 years because the Lake Medina at Lake Hills near San Antonio, TX, was empty. Before that the boat was new and was working great.
I am not sure if the muffs were sealed well, so, I believe I have to see if the impeller was damaged. I am new, I never work on any boat motor before. In addition, the propeller was rotating in the neutral position after I attached the bottom part.
My boat is about 1 hour driving from here where I have my computer, so, I will resume work on boat this Saturday taking your answers with me.
I do not understand your statement "..don't bring it above idle until you at least have water from the exhaust". Could you use words different from "..don't bring it above idle .." ? It is probably an idiom; please use simpler and straightforward statement.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Don't rev up the engine until you have water from the exhaust, don't want to overheat the exhaust passages. But if water is flowing from the exhaust you can rev it up a little so pressure will come up and then it should start to pee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Same topic, your previous answer did not help:
I am back from the lake. I did some work o the boat and
I tested the motor two times, each time for 60 sec,
and water did not show up at the piss hole.May be the thermostat blocks water flow, or water flow is blocked
in a hose inside motor.
May be the water does not have to show up at the piss hole ?
But I remember my motor with water at the piss hole.I would appreciate from you a list of steps to see what blocks
the water flow.
Is there a hose inside my motor that I can see that water is pumped by
the impeller or is stopped by something? I took pictures of my motor;
I may e-mail them to you and you could indicate on them what to check;
alternatively you may have your picture of Mercury 30hp 4-stroke, 2010,
or may be you can describe the places to check.Zbigniew
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get get answer from you to address solution to my problem.
Your previous answer did not help in my problem.I did not see in your recent message the answer to my problem.
May be, you can direct me to another specialist?After you last answer last week,
in a hose inside motor.
the water flow.
or may be you can describe the places to check.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** different expert here on the site. Do you still require assistance with the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I need still the answer to my problem:
after replacing the impeller, I do not see water cooling the motor.
How to see water?May be the thermostat blocks water flow, or water flow is blocked
in a hose inside motor (I saw on the Internet that water low is turned on
after some temperature is reached).
But I remember my motor with water coming out at the piss hole.I would appreciate from you a list of steps to see what blocks
the water flow.