Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2001 Yamaha @200 hp Salt Water series V6 2 cycle

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Yamaha @200 hp Salt Water series V6 2 cycle outboard on a 21' Parker center console boat. This summer we hit rocks at around 5 knots; breaking the drive shaft and rendering the motor inoperable. Does Yamaha build into their motors a type of shear pin assembly or other sort of engineering that would protect the rest of the motor when such a mishap occurs? We are faced with the choice of replacing the lower unit on our existing motor or buying a new motor entirely. Needless to say, we would save a lot staying with our present motor.
Thanks, Steve.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

The outboards propeller does use a sacrificial rubber hub. It is supposed to let go and sacrifice itself in the event of a hit. Sometimes though, especially with stainless steel props, that doesn't always happen and shafts do break.

You said you broke a shaft. Did you actually remove the lower unit and confirm a broken drive shaft? Or is that just an assumption because there is no thrust?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was confirmed by my mechanic. Its a gamble to instal a new lower unit for about $4,500 ( as the crash may have affected the motor.) The other option is to buy a new motor (About $18,000 to&19,000 install. Is it probable the this crash torqued the motor out of alignment or should I risk it and get a new lower end installed?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Impacts seldom effect the actual engine itself. If something happened to the engine that would show up as either broken crankshaft or bent connecting rods. Both of which are easy enough to check for.

I want to check and see if there are any aftermarket lower units available for this engine. Do you have the actual engine model number handy?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?