Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

My westerbeke low hours when cranked sputers few minutes

Customer Question

My westerbeke low hours when cranked sputers for a few minutes then dies ..whatcare some possible problems I should check. Ty. ***@******.***
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Make sure if the boat is equipped with a filter between the genset and the tank that is is clean or replace it. If that doesn't help you will need the carburetor rebuilt or replaced. Ethanol in the fuel has caused huge problems with small engine carbs. Once you get it fixed, install a fuel cut off inline with the genset (unless one is already there) and before you stop using the boat for a while (more than 2 weeks) run the genset, turn the fuel off, and let the genset run dry. This will keep the ethanol deposits from building up in the carburetor.