Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

I have a Hylas 54 with Lewmar 66 electric winches. One winch

Customer Question

I have a Hylas 54 with Lewmar 66 electric winches. One winch runs well when not loaded but will not pull much at all under load. I have installed a new motor and no difference. HELP!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for asking. The next thing to do is check the voltage at the motor while the winch is running and then under load. This will check for a voltage drop at the motor that would cause the exact symptom you are describing.

To do this test set you meter to DC volts and put one probe on each of the motor terminals. Then have someone else run the winch. With no load you should have almost no voltage drop. Thus you should show about 12.9 volts at the motor while it running with no load. Then load up the winch and the voltage should hold above 11.9 volts. If the voltage drops out then we have found the problem.

If the voltage does not drop out and you have changed the motor then I would suspect a binding on the winch under load while line pulling. This would be very rare and you would hear some squeaking from the winch. So lets do the voltage check first and go from there.

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Scott, I am calling Lewmar Monday for advice on troubleshooting the printed circuit board and relay in the two speed controller box that runs this winch. I will keep this conversation going with you until we get a fix for the problem so we both will know what to look for in the future. The board probably has a current limiter circuit that has packed up. ***** *****ell