Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

I have a 2001 Sea Ray 410 Express Cruiser that has an alarm

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Sea Ray 410 Express Cruiser that has an alarm go off periodically indicating something with sbd engine. beeps once every 4 sec or so; I shut off engine and restart and it disappears-------sometimes happens again an hour later. All gauges are fine. I thought it was a transmission sensor so I swapped the port for sbd, yet the sbd alarm still came on. No mercruiser mechanics within 200 miles! any ideas of what else to check or do. Walt
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should have added that the engines are twin Mercruiser Horizons (370 hp each) and all the fluids and gauges are fine--------just this occasional alarm showing starboard engine issue? does the length of beep and the time between beeps indicate what is the issue (I see in the mercruiser codes that a steady alarm is either overheating or an oil issue, so I assume this is not what is a problem.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Mike,

Can you please provide me with engine serial numbers?

what is the exact interval between beeps?

what rpm is it happening at?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to get that for you; the only numbers on the survey are written under stern drive, so not sure that would be them, but just in case those numbers are ZF/1219318 and ZF/1219312-------could that be them? I can double check and get back to you in the a.m..
The interval is 3-4 seconds; happens only at cruising speed which for me on this boat is 3200-3400 rpm
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Oh, your 410 has stern drives? My apologies I thought it had inboards.
Ok, then check the gear oil bottle for the strboard drive. It is a clear plastic reservoir and should be located on the inside of the transom or on a bracket on the side of the engine... I think that's all this is. Either it's low(has low-full marks) on gear lube or the sensor is failing. This is a fairly common issue and if that's all it is I can give you the correct part number for a new sensor.
As a test, try switching the bottle with the port side and see if the problem follows the bottle.
I hope this helps, let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the boat has inboards. The surveyor wrote those serial numbers in the spot on the survey form that asks for stern drive serial numbers so I assumed the surveyor just made the wrong entry. In any event, I looked at the engines last evening and there is no serial number on the plate on the engine block-----that is the only number missing. I will have to do some more investigating. Another point is that on the Display Control Monitor which is what beeps and says check sbd engine, that code is not in the manual--------also, on that DCM, it has a reset button which I assumed could be pushed to reset the DCM and thus turn off the alarm, but that does not do it either. Any thoughts. Thanks. Walt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just following up on this matter-------did you get my last message? Also, I did find a notation in the owner's manual referring to a Magnum 454 Horizon Cross Ram Serial No. OL399343------not sure if that is correct or whether it is prt or sbd-------hope that helps.
Walt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Walt, yes I did get your messages.. I didnt think you had stern drives on a 410...that would be odd.
I'm out in the field currently but I can call you shortly. When is a good time for you to talk on the phone. It's noon here to n CA.
BTW: MerCruiser also engraves the serial numbers on the side of the block... If you look on the engine block towards the back on either side you will see a machined surface with a serial number on it. Either engine's number will do so which ever one you find first just post that one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh great thanks, ***** ***** presume that the other message that it is a Magnum 454 Horizon Cross Ram Serial # ***** will be helpful. I have also attached the owner's manual page of the various read-outs on the Display Control Module---------my display simply says "starboard engine alarm" so I have no idea what it means or where to start since nothing seems to be out of the ordinary -------- and the reset does not do anything----------is there another way to reset or reboot or check the default codes to see what is triggering this. Thanks
Walt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 3:30 pm here in Windsor, Ontario, Canada, so you can call me on my cell anytime------***-***-****.
Thanks
Walt
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Walt, this is the protocol I have to follow for live phone conversations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's an extra $38.00?? Do you have an opinion on the problem that you can just email me?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I'm still working on the water and don't have my charger.. Phone is about to die...
I have some ideas if I can talk to you tonight.
What did the cost say when you requested the phone call? I don't see that on my end.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Walt, just request the phone call offer again for the lowest amount(I think $9) and I will call you. That is the only way they let us do it. When you type a phone number in the regular field it just comes up like this (XXX) XXX-XXXX.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The telephone option that shows is available to me is $38 not $9.
Also, if this info helps, I was out yesterday, cruised at 3000 rpm and alarm went off after 20 minutes or so-----------same code "starboard engine alarm". Shut SB engine off; restarted and cruised at 1500 rpm for an hour or so without it going off----does it have a sensor that is triggered if it senses it is running at too high an rpm (which 3000 is not anyway)?