Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 that doesn't idle when the engine

Customer Question

I have a Volvo Penta 5.0 that doesn't idle when the engine is cold. How can I fix this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
What is the model number on the engine?
Does it idle when it is warm?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. Do you mean 5.0 GL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't idle a whole lot better when it's warm
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
GL would be a family of engines, and not the exact model. Is this engine fuel injected or carbureted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Carbureted
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Has the engine had a tune up since new? A tune up would be cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, and all filters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced to plugs but that's all
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The engine either needs a full tune up or it needs the carb rebuilt. Usually you can tell how bad it is if you lift up the distributor cap and look and see how corroded it is inside of there. The cab and rotor should be changed every year, so if yours is 6 years old I know it needs to be changed either way. At the same time you want to get all the fuel filters as well. If that does not fix it by itself, then the carb would have to come off and be rebuilt. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure does. Were would the model no.be located
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It's typically on a sticker right on top of the spark arrestor, on top of the carb. Or on the valve cover. It would start with 5.0GL, but have more letters after it. You would definitely need to find it before ordering any parts. GL is just a family of engines, the rest of the letters after the GL will denote it's full model number.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. Any progress?