Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2000 godfry fundeck w/90 yamaha outboard (same year) left

Customer Question

2000 godfry fundeck w/90 yamaha outboard (same year) left unnattended and bilge pump quit resulting in sinking just short of outboard but above the gas fill and flooded battery compartment. So far, working on charging and load testing battery, new bilge and swithch, but ????? how can i drain and check fuel? and there is about a 1 1/2 through the transom, starboard side, about 6 inches below water line, connectectedl to a black hose going forward. this through transom has a flapper valve . do you know what this is?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
The easiest way to check the fuel is to disconnect the fuel line from the engine. Stick the end of the line in a clear glass jar, like an old pickle jar. And pump the primer bulb until the jar is full. Let it sit for a couple of hours, and see if there is a seperation line in the jar. If no seperation line, smell it and make sure it smells like gas. If it is all water it would only have a hint of a gas smell to it.
Also, if you have a fuel water filter on the boat, unscrew that and dump that into another jar, and do the same thing
Does all that make sense?
On this flapper valve, do you have a picture or 2 of that I can see?