Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

My 2001 Malibu Sportster has died after running -20 minutes

Customer Question

My 2001 Malibu Sportster has died after running for 10-20 minutes 3 times this year. First time, fuel filter was replaced. Second time, mechanic said the filter housing had corrosion, and filter replaced again. Third time was yesterday. Is the pump itself the problem? If so, where can I buy a replacement?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello and good afternoon,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
So far what I am seeing is fuel related problems all 3 times, what seems to be the problem is lack of fuel in the housing (I assume), this can mean various things, one is a leak pre filter including pick up tube in tank, another is vent system clogged/blocked/not functioning correctly (open fuel fill cap and see if issue resolves), another is fuel vapor lock, if fuel injected could be the regulator (so long as fuel pressure is low as a result of a failed regulator), could be leak after filter such as injector sticking (if filter not low on fuel), or it could yes, also be a pump failing. If this is a carb engine then you will have either an electric or mechanical pump, you will from here need to test if the pump is pulling fuel and if not you then disconnect pump and try removing fuel with a hand pump, if you can pull fuel by hand then replace the pump (unless electric, in which you would need to check power and ground during the problem as well.) From there you also want to check the anti-siphon valve.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.