Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I Have 1988 Yamaha outboard Model 70ETLG Code 6H3L SER

Customer Question

I Have 1988 Yamaha outboard Model 70ETLG Code 6H3L SER 465020. I recently changed the lower unit oil and I put in a new water pump kit. The other day my son was taking the boat for a ride. It was running fine then a few minutes later it started skipping and was smoking a little more than usual. The motor quit. When I went to start it again, I had to bring the idle up for it to stay running. For some reason it is smoking out the exhaust more than usual. Would you be able to give me some input on what I could check. I would appreciate it. Thank you Mark
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mark, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.
The first thing to check is the compression to make sure it didn't blow a piston. Did you want to do that and get back to me, or did you want a complete list of everything it could possibly be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you know what the compression is supposed to be on the cylinders. I have to go get my compression gauge to check all 3 cylinders and then I will get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I would be happy with 90 psi or better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our boat is at our summer camp and I am at home. I won't be able to get back to you until tomorrow. How can I get in touch with you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Just log back into the website, and then on the upper right click "my questions" and that will get you back here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to set up an account to log back in?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You should have had to set up an account with an email address and password ***** you asked your question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I did was type in my question. Can I set up an account now? Or what is the best way to get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
To be honest I have no idea, I don't know how the customer side of the website works. Your best bet is to email customer service at***@******.*** and they can answer any website questions for you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Just checking in to see if you were making progress, or had any further questions on the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No forget the phone call. Not paying.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason would you be able to tell me what is the torque specifications for the head bolts and what sequence they go into to tighten them. Thank you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Phone calls are an extra service not included in your original deposit.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I should have that, can you open up PDF files if I upload in that format? Also, did you need anytthing else while I have the book open?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know. I just sent you another message
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think we are typing at the same time here. Did you see my message about the PDF files?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I did not see the PDF files
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to open PDF files, that is what I was asking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't receive any PDF file. Yes I can open PDF files.Did you sent one to me?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I didn't send one yet because I didn't know if you could open them. Give me a couple of minutes to pull the book and make a copy.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OKay the file is attached to this message.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I try to open it. all I get is a blank black screen
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Can you try it again. I downloaded the file from the same place I uploaded it to, and it works fine for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It wants to open but I still get the blank screen. can you try to email it to***@******.***. please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
never mind I got it to work. Thank you. I got to check couple more things and I will get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. Any progress?