Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a 1976 Bayliner 1950 inboard/outboard Mercruiser Model

Customer Question

Have a 1976 Bayliner 1950 inboard/outboard Mercruiser Model 470 (170 HP) 4 cylinder aluminum block with shorelander trailer. It needs work; elastomer seals are aged; the anti reverse lock pin in lower unit is worn (won't lock unit down in reverse). The engine has not be run in over 10 years (in storage). Over length of boat is 19'-5". I would like a rough idea of what it would take/cost to restore to running condition. Thanks for your consideration of my question.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am I speaking with?

If the engine is not in running condition right now. Given the age of it and what it is. It is easily going to cost more than what the boat is worth. If the boat was in running condition and had no major problems the boat and trailer is only going to be worth in the 1500 ballpark. To get something like that going, get the engine running, get the sterndrive and transom assembly all serviced with a new water pump, bellows, shift cable, gimbal bearing and all of the odds and ends is going to be in the 2k ballpark, and that is if there are no surprises along the way. If there are surprises you would only add to it.'

I'm a mechanic and my labor is always free, plus I do not pay retail for parts. Personally, something like this I wouldn't even get into. I would just donate it or sell it for whatever you think you can get for it. Non-running boats don't have much value, so if you could get 500 bucks for it as it sits I would take it.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason