Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

Merc 2002 225 efi running great 5 miles. put it on trailer

Customer Question

merc 2002 225 efi running great for about 5 miles. put it on trailer to another location fired up great went about 200 yards and shut down without warning or alarms going off.
got good spark, disconnected fuel line from tank and ran fresh gas from a different tank. still wont start. fuses all good kill switch in proper position, hoses no leaks, all wiring connected, help
mike bolin
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Mike,

Can you please provide me with your engine's serial number? This is more important than the year when you are dealing with Mercs.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you still need assistance with your Mercury?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay. In response to your request for serial# ***** follows: OT 467145 2002 225XXL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
an after thought the motor has been sitting unused since May and had been running great up to that time.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info on your Mercury..
Can you tell me how you checked the spark on the motor?
I assume since you got spark that the starter is engaging and cranking the motor over? If so, does it make any attempt to start..popping, backfire, etc?
What is the static voltage of the battery when nothing is turned on?
Let's start with answering these questions and we'll take it from there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used a screw driver placed inside of a spark plug wire, and while cranking the motor I grounded the screw driver to the block and observed a very strong spark.
There was no popping, back firing or any sound to indicate an attempt to start other then the cranking of the motor by the starter (new in april)This battery is new as of 8-17-15 with a full charge I just now did as you asked using a volt meter and it showed 12.1
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so the battery voltage is sufficient but a good battery should have no less than 12.5V typically. But this isn't going to be an issue.
The next thing to check is going to be the fuel pressure on the high pressure side. this will require a fuel pressure gage and the proper Mercury fuel specs. If this is something you are able to do I can provide the fuel specifications for you. If you are going to attempt to do this yourself it is imperative to use a high quality fuel pressure gage as I have seen the cheap ones leak and spray fuel all over the place. If you don't have a factory service manual and you are not confident in your mechanical skills than you should find a qualified outboard tech to do this for you.
EFI motors are sensitive to fuel pressure issues, one of the more common is high pressure fuel pump failure or the relay for the pump fails.
You can try spraying a shot of starting fluid into the intake and see if it fires off momentarily. You should have a helper for this and have a fire extinguisher handy(don't worry it's just being smart). You don't need to worry about putting water to it unless its handy because you're going to shut it off 1 or two seconds after it starts.. your not trying to get it running, just test to make sure it's a fuel issue. You need to mist the starting fluid into the intake while the motor is being cranked over. if necessary you can loosen the intake hose at th throttle body on the top front of the motor.
If it fires off stop spraying the starting fluid.
Be safe if you try these tests and report back with your finding s and we'll take it from there.