Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., MarineTechnician
Experience:  Multiple factory certifications 20+ years of experience.
8380480

My 1996 Seadoo GTI2 throttles up and revs gh but it does not

Customer Question

My 1996 Seadoo GTI2 throttles up and revs high but it does not accelerate for 10-20 seconds at High revs and then seems to catch and accelerate. With two people on it it never will get up to speed but revs are high. Any thoughts ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeremy R. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The problem is one of a couple things.

You either have weeds, or some sort of debris in the pump blocking the flow of water and it's cavitating or the wear ring and impeller are damaged.
Usually the wear ring will be the first to go bad because it's made of reinforced plastic.

You will need to look up through the intake grate with a flash light to make sure you don't have something in there.

And if that's clear you have to remove the jet pump from the back of the ski to inspect the wear ring and impeller.

You should have no more than .030 clearance between the impeller and the wear ring.

If it's grooved or torn then it's junk.

You have to cut the old one out and press the new one in. It's usually something most folks have a shop do because they don't have a press or a saw to cut the old ring out without damaging the pump body.

On the bright side a wear ring can be bought for around $50 so it's not too expensive for parts and labor is usually 1 hour.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked through the drive area with a flashlight and there was not any weeds or debris so was totally clear. So if it is the wear ring or impellar it could still somehow get up to speed ? Wondered if there is any way that the drive shaft would not be fully engaging ? It seems to catch and run fine at high speed after 20-40 seconds of high revs and little forward motion.