Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 60 HPH Outboard on a 16 Ft McKee Craft-- Have done

Customer Question

I have a 60 HPH Johnson Outboard on a 16 Ft McKee Craft-- Have done extenuous work to the engine--New coils --New computer brain for the engine --rebuilt carbs--drained gas and put an inline filter on gas line --changed prop which got dinged up--I live in the Fla Keys--Now top speed and RPM have been reduced-- Used to top out at 5 thous RPM and now only 4 thous RPM--
What is top RPM for a 60 HPH Johnson--2001 vintage and should I reduce the pitch to get more power and RPM
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with.
The spec on that engine is 5k to 6k rpms, as long as you are in that window you are within spec.
That being said you would have to change the prop pitch by 5 to get from 4k to 5k rpms, and that doesn't sound right at all. And I think you might have another problem going on, possible fuel starvation. Is the boats tank built in, or is it a portable?