Yachtwork
Yachtwork, Marine Engineer
Experience:  MEC3 and RYA Yachtmaster Ocean
10951514

I HAVE A 1999 EVINRUDE 90h/p MODEL E90FPLSSR SKIP UPON

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1999 EVINRUDE 90h/p MODEL E90FPLSSR SKIP UPON ACCELERATION & THEN THROTEL SEAMS TO GO IN NETURAL WITH NO POWER IN FORWARD OR REVERSE . THEN SHUT IT OF & RE START IF YOU GET PASSED MEDIUM THROTTLE UP TO FAST OR HIGH SOMETIMES OK
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a classic prop hub spun out. Inside the prop, between the output shaft and the prop is a rubber bushing. If you remove the prop nut and look down the end of the shaft you will see this black donut looking thing. They fail all the time. When trying to get up to speed the prop is under full load so if it is going to slip that is when it will happen. Then running at top speed the prop is not under that much load so the failing hub will hold.

Thanks for asking.

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is not problem , engine looses power not over spins . It like you have a governor that kicks in & engine will not throttle up.