Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I've got a 2000 25 hp 2 stroker that starts with the primer

Customer Question

I've got a 2000 25 hp 2 stroker that starts with the primer pulled out but won't idle. I can watch the fuel in the filter start dropping about a quarter of the way down. Shouldn't that stay full after you pump the bulb?
I rebuilt the carb thinking that was the problem but no help. I'm gonna try adjusting the carb per the manual and see what happens. theres a small metal wire that has something to do with idling so I should probably make sure thats properly adjusted. Just wondering if the two vacuum lines under the carb could have anything to do with my problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Noel and I will assist you. So if you have rebuilt the carb i suggest you set the idle air mixture screw to 1 and 1/2 turns out from fully in position. Also those two lines under the carb need to be properly connected as if there is an air leak fro there the engine will not idle. As for the metal link yest it has to be connected to the upper part of the plastic arm that moves with the choke and the trigger under the flywheel. In the event that the engine still does not idle i suggest you rebuild also the fuel pump connected to the side of the carb. Other then that the engine should idle fine.

Noel