Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have 3 x 300 verado's on my boat, I keep them tilted fully

Customer Question

Hi, I have 3 x 300 verado's on my boat, I keep them tilted fully up when the boat is in the pen. The port motor seems to drop down overnight , what causes this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Most likely the check valves in the trim unit are leaking down as it sits. They can be removed and cleaned in some cases or they run about $220 for a kit that contains new check valves and seals. Part number 896165A01

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where are the trim units located?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

The trim unit is at the base of the two rams that lift the engine. The check valves are #6 in this illustration.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, looks like a job for a mechanic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can this be done with the boat in the water?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as long as access to the back of the boat is available like a raft or work platform.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Also depends on what depth your engines are mounted to, the base of the rams may be too close to the water.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mounted on a Boston Whaler 370 Outrage.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Does that lift or is it just an enclosure? In that position the base is too close to the water, nice boat BTW.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope that's it, it sits at water level just out of the water if that makes sense. Anyhow it looks like an expensive repair for a simple problem, like most things Mercury or boating for that matter. There is no way it could be something as simple as a shortage of trim fluid.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

If it lifts all the way then most likely you have enough fluid, but if it leaks down it is usually past those check valves. There is a slight possibility low fluid could do it (Bubbly fluid raises it but drops as the bubbles go away. ) But if it's low on fluid then the whole trim unit will likely need reseal since they should not lose fluid (Even more money).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LOL love the good news. Thanks then I have enough info now to A: that I cant do it myself and B: its going to cost crap loads. :)
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

I would throw out a silly saying, but we have all heard it. It might just take a cleaning but it does sound like you'll need to have it pulled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pity as it was just out the water, that's another 500+ just to get it out. B.O.A.T :)
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Remember, you're not buying a boat, you're renting a lifestyle. Hope that makes it feel a little better. :-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My problem is I have an aircraft too, what an idiot. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Mmmm, two mistresses, never good. You're welcome.