Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2004 crownline 208 bowrider. Motor is 5 litre with

Customer Question

I have a 2004 crownline 208 bowrider. Motor is 5 litre with a Volvo leg. When the motor warms up it is difficult to shift into gear without it hammering.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Which model sterndrive do you have? SX, DP?
What exactly is it doing, is the shifter lever stiff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the shift lever is smooth. You have to push it much further forward when it is warm at which point it "hammers" into gear
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mechanic adjusted something at the leg when the boat was out of the water last fall but we could not test it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure which model of sterndrive
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are the rpms rising before it actually shifts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I went to accept the phone offer but it says your payment failed.

Does the sterndrive have 1 propeller or 2 propellers on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok lets proceed with online
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
go ahead with online advice
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the sterndrive have 1 propeller or 2? I still need to know what it is you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One prop I found more info. Drive is SX-M 1.60 and engine is 5.0GXI-D Transome assembly is TSK SX-MLT
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

SX-M, got it, that is what I needed

These sterndrives use what they call a wet cone clutch. And it is a clutch that does wear out just like any car clutch would. "Wet" means it has to have gear oil surrounding it at all times or else it will slip, and if it slips bad enough, burn up, causing it to prematurely wear out.

There isn't any kind of adjustment issue here. The problem is either a gear lube problem. Or the clutch is burning out.

When I get these boats in the shop what I do is I drain the lower unit gear oil first and see what comes out of it. The sterndrive holds close to 2 quarts of lube. If the lube in the sterndrive is low, old, contaminated, or has water in it, or of the wrong type, that will all cause the clutch to slip. When I drain them, if I get about 2 quarts of lube, I will fill it back up, water test it, and see what happens. If it still slips the clutch is wearing out, and requires replacement. If I drain the oil and it's low, or empty, or has water in it. Then the sterndrive seals are leaking. And the drive actually needs to come off and be re-sealed. And the clutch would get inspected while it's all apart.

That is what the issue here is going to be. Either there is a lube problem, be it low, old, or has water in it. Or the clutch is wearing out.

Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.
Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.
Thank you
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Just checking in, no rating has been put through yet so I was seeing if you were making progress, or had any further questions on the issue.