Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Having trouble with the "trim" switch on my 1988

Customer Question

Having trouble with the "trim" switch on my 1988 mercruiser 3.0 It works intermittently when you push it down. It seems to go up fine and the "trailer" switch works fine. When I put it in the down position sometimes the unit does not lower but you can
hear a relay or switch clicking in the engine compartment. If I hit it 2-3 times or move it up and down it will eventually engage and lower the unit. So I don't think it is the actual trim switch on the shifter but something in the back near the hydraulic
unit.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The trim system uses solenoids to energize the pump. If you are hearing clicking that clicking is coming from the solenoid. That means there is either a bad connection back there, or, the solenoid is burnt up internally creating that intermittent connection. What you want to do is first check and see i there is any corrosion on the wiring, and if there is, clean it up. If that looks good. Go ahead and replace both trim solenoids. They are not much money, and for the time it takes to get your head and hands in and out of there where the trim pump is you are better off just replacing both of them. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. I noticed no rating has been put through yet. Did you still have questions on this issue that I did not cover for you?
Thanks,
Jason