Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 60 horsepower motor runs good out of the water runs

Customer Question

I have a 60 horsepower Johnson motor runs good out of the water runs perfect put it in the water and put a load on it it dies clean the carburetors took it back out same thing what's the problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

We need to do some tests to find out what the problem is. We need to do a spark and compression test first.

The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester. Then we need to do a compression test to determine the strength of the engine. The compression must be 90+ psi with no more than 15% difference between cylinders.

Can you do these tests and post back with findings.

Now by chance did you choke the engine when getting on plane? Did you squeeze the primer bulb when getting on plane? The last 2 tests will tell us if you have a fuel related issue.

For the engine to run correctly you must have good compression strong spark and good fuel supply.