Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have an issue, bought a 2005 262 rinker captiva with a

Customer Question

hi Jason I have an issue , bought a 2005 262 rinker captiva with a Volvo penta 5.7 osxi
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Alan, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
The engine needs a series of checks. Has the compression, fuel pressure, and spark output been checked yet, and if yes, what are the numbers on compression and fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't checked the compression but the engine has around 200 hrs on it and it looked great when I had it apart, at the pressure regulator it had around 45 to 50 pounds, the fuel cell is brand new
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we talk by phone
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'm sitting down with my wife watching some TV, as it's 8pm on a saturday night. I don't mind chit chatting on the internet. But I don't want get into a phone call at this time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, do u have time to email then
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
We don't really work off of email here, we correspond directly through the website.
These are high performance computer controlled engine. Where you stand with this is Compression needs to be checked first to rule out a mechanical problem. Fuel pressure next. Spark output next. If it still doesn't start, it has to get hooked up to a diagnostic laptop to read the ECM and all sensors in real time. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
besides compression , how do I check spark out put
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
The easiest way is with a timing light. Hook up a timing light to a plug wire. Crank the engine over. And see if it flashes or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it , will that tell me if the coil is working properly
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Well.... Coil yes i suppose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry for troubling you , u don't seem very interested in helping me thanks