Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

If i accidentally filled my fuel vent line, would it affect

Customer Question

If i accidentally filled my fuel vent line, would it affect the engine running? it will not take fuel, it chuggs back out. Seems air bound. will the fuel vent line drain back into the fuel tank via the fuel limit vent valve? How do i correct? thanks
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Mike, I can help you with your fuel tank issue if you can clarify a couple of things for me...

You accidentally filled the "vent" line to the fuel tank? with fuel or water?

Did you overfill the tank and it came out the vent?

And by "fuel limit vent valve" are you referring the anti-siphon valve on the fuel pick up line or a one-way valve inside of the vent line? I'm not sure what kind of boat you have but fuel tanks vents are typically located on the side of the boat high above the water line.

Let's start by answering these questions so I have a better understanding of the situation and provide you with the best solution.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2013 boston whaler 170 Dauntless
fuel was poured into the vent "portion'' of the fuel neck.
The valve is called a fuel limit vent valve--located where the vent line meets the gas tank
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so that is an overflow capture device and a vent.... the vent line most likely has a loop in it and can trap fuel in it.
If you can get a small hose into the vent hole in the filler neck you can blow through it and push the fuel out of the line back into the tank...if not then you will need access the vent line at the top of the fuel tank through the deck plate in the floor and disconnect the line from the tank and siphon the fuel out of the line.
Try one of these methods and let me know how it goes. If you can't get it out that way then we will try a different method.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, were you able to try my suggestions....... any luck?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hello, did you find anything... you still need help?