Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

Perplexed. Own a 2006 FourWinns 348 with twin inboard

Customer Question

Perplexed. Own a 2006 FourWinns 348 with twin inboard crusader MP6.0's. Starboard engine just decided not to start. Turning ignition to start - nothing, no clicks. Replaced ignition switch still have issue. Jumped neutral switch on transmission - nothing.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Mike,

May I ask where you are located and if you are with the boat today?

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I can take you through a couple tests to determine where the problem lies if you are with the boat.
First you need to check to see if you have voltage at the starter solenoid while someone is holding the key in the start position... are you able to find someone to help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not with the boat currently, but will be later today. I am on the East Coast in Connecticut. If you can give me several things to check/try I can do that later and respond back to you.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

ok, First you need to check to see if you have voltage at the starter solenoid while someone is holding the key in the start position... you will need to find someone to help with this or have a test light or voltage meter with extra long leads (you can make extensions with alligator clips) that you can hook the exciter (small wire) terminal on the starter solenoid. Turn the key to the start position and see if you get power to that wire.

If not, then you need to go to the back of the ignition switch and see if you have power out of the "start" terminal when holding it in the start position.

If you do have power at the solenoid then you can use something like a remote starter button to jump the solenoid to see if it cranks the engine over. If you're getting power to the main power terminal on the solenoid that the positive battery cable connects to and you get no click when turning the key or jumping the solenoid the you have a bad starter solenoid.

But try checking these things when you can and get back to me with your findings and we'll take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Mike. How late can I expect a response from you today? Also, to make this more confusing, after working on problem all day Sunday with no luck, I turned the key late Sunday night as I was leaving the marina and the engine started right up. Turned the engine off and haven't been able to start it since.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

I am in California and work remotely for this site so you can post your findings later and If I don't see it tonight then I will respond in the am.

I can also offer you the option of a live phone call when you are at the boat if it is not too late.

Since this is an intermittent issue it could be a number of things but first, check that all battery cables are tight on both the battery and the engine. A loose battery cable will cause this exact problem. If you have wing nuts on your battery terminals, tighten them with pliers or a crescent wrench as you cannot make them tight enough by hand.

If all connections are good then next, try what I told you in the previous post.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, have been able to try my suggestions....... any luck?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you still need assistance with your Fourwinns?
mike