Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Here

Customer Question

hi charles....john here
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is the alarm a series of beeps, or a solid tone? Can I get the serial number on the engine please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason...its john and its a solid beep.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi John, do you happen to have the serial number on the engine? If not, what size is it, and is it fuel injected or carbureted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not handy...its a 1996 Mercruiser Alpha one (180HP)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

For a solid beep there are only 2 things that cause that. A bad oil pressure switch, or a bad temp switch. The gear lube monitor would cause a beeping over and over.

1. The oil pressure switch is located just above the oil filter, it has a single tan/blue wire on it

2. The water pressure switch is located at the thermostat housing, it has a single yellow wire on it.

Disconnect each switch one at a time. The one that silences the alarm is the bad switch.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the manual it states low oil pressure, excessive eng temp and low drive fluid. In my initial description i indicated I already knew it was the drive fluid sensor as the other 2 were reading normally plus when I moved the drive fluid float around the beeping stopped. I was looking for a way to disable it short term until I can get to a mechanic.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Let me ask you this, is the alarm a constant beep? (which is what I was assuming it was) or is it beeping once every 30 seconds or so?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It looks like you logged off, let me explain how this works.

Let me explain how this works, hopefully it will make better sense.

There are 3 alarm switches on the engine. Gear oil switch, oil pressure switch, temperature switch.

The way it is supposed to work is if the gear oil switch activates, it will beep once every 30 seconds. If the temp or oil pressure switch activate, it will give a constant never ending beep. That is the way it is supposed to work. If you have a bad beeper or corrosion in the wiring that can make the beeper do funny things.

To add to that. On the oil pressure and temperature. .On the engine there are what they call sending units, and then switches. The sending units are what give a signal to the gauges. The switches are what provide the signal to the alarm. They are 2 different things. So for example, you can have a bad oil pressure switch activating the alarm. But the gauge can read correctly because the sending unit is working correctly.

So in order to figure this out. Disconnect the wires like I previously mentioned. And then also disconnect the 2 wires at the bottom of the gear lube monitor bottle. Whichever one you disconnect silences the alarm is the problem switch.

Does that make better sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected the wire at the drive fluid resevoir and the beeping stopped....thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh good, i'm glad to hear it. Please let me know if you have any problems when trying to put through a rating for me.
Happy boating!
Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in.I noticed no rating has been done. Did you have any further questions on the issue?