Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My son mistakenly added 5 qts of oil to the plug on the

Customer Question

my son mistakenly added 5 qts of oil to the plug on the stdbside of the motor behind the oil filter. I have an 2006 150 HP 4 stroke motor.
I tried siphoning out the oil but nothingcame out.
I added oil to the motor and started it up and it seems to run ok if there something else Imust do
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

When you have to much oil in the crankcase it won't usually cause an issue at idle. But when you get up to higher rpms it will cause issues. To get the oil level down remove the oil drain plug let oil out. The drain plug is inside the rubber tube here. http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/wp-content/uploads/bbu_images/fishing/post_images/1207856952_P1010289.JPG

It will probably be easier to just completely drain the crankcase then refill the crankcase to the full mark on the dip stick.

Does this make sense?

Post back with questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The oil wasn't added to yhe crank case it was put into the bolt hole for the exhaust just behind the oil filter on the right side of theoyor
The bolt removed wasetric size around 5/8 " size or equivilant
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

If the crankcase isn't over full you have nothing to worry about. Have you checked the oil level?

I thing the bolt he removed is a zinc in the coooling system. When you ran the engine did you see and oil slick on the water?